Re: mailing list vs "the futur"

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 11:33:39AM -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:
> Dan Ritter wrote:
> > 3. Indexed mail searching. Whatever works with your preferred
> > mail client. Have cron run a re-index every morning before you
> > wake up.
>
> Care to expand on this one a bit? Not entirely sure what you mean here,
> and it's intriguing.

Full-text searching of all your mail folders is a reasonable
thing to ask your mail server and/or client to do.

notmuch, maildir-utils, mairix, nmzmail are all Debian packaged
utilities that will look through all your mail and construct an
index so that when you ask for things like:

I want the mail from people who have "Dan" in their email
addresses and had a subject with "GNU"

it can compile that list for your mail client in a second or
three, instead of reading through all your mail when you make
the query and thus taking several minutes or hours.

Each package is a little different: some want to add new
messages to an index on arrival, others want to roll through
all your mail archives each time you re-index.

If you're a mutt user, you should also be using the amazing
power of limits to do things like "show me mail in this folder
that arrived yesterday and I replied to it" or "show me mail
in this folder that is not from my company's domain".

-dsr-