Set the MTU on the interface

Hi!

I need an advice about how can I set the MTU on the interface which is not in fact configured. So to explain in more detail:

I have a debian box acting as a router and it has interface let's say eth0. Eth0 itself doesn't have any IP configuration, all IP configuration and routing is done on vlan interfaces bound to eth0. I need to route jumbo frames so I need to set the MTU on vlan interfaces to 9000 and consequently I need to set MTU to 9000 on the physical eth0 also. However, as i have only one line for eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0

I can't set the MTU in the eth0 configuration. I can probably write a pre-up directive in the configuraion of the first vlan interface however I'm not sure if this is correct way. Probably someone can advice better one?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Alex