Re: BTRFS and debian

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 01:19:39PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 07:50:03PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > Can someone explain if there's an -actual- non-free dependency that
> > these packages have, or if it is just the somewhat-incompatibility
> > between ZFS CDDL and Linux GPL?
>
> Unless they manage to pull in some Oracle code (zfs encryption and
> dtrace probes come to mind), ZFS on Linux is a free (as in freedom)
> software.
> But, since Sun Microsystems deliberately designed CDDL to be
> incompatible with GPL2 (happened in 2004 IIRC), you can not ship ZFS
> binary modules with the Linux kernel, for instance ([1]).
> What you can do is to ship source code, and 'ask' the user to build such
> modules for themselves (hence the need of dkms or module-assistant).
>
> [1] https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/FAQ

Yes, zfs-dkms and zfs-initramfs is a little more work that plain
apt install.

This gives some of the details:

which explains thusly:

 “> Forgive my ignorance, but why will it not happen?

  The legal status of ZFSonLinux was discussed by the FTP team and
  DPL over a long period, with input from legal counsel, resulting in
  a decision to put it in the 'contrib' section.  That decision is
  unlikely to be revisited soon.
 ”

and further from
https://blog.halon.org.uk/2016/01/on-zfs-in-debian/#comment-13678
:

 Martin (February 28, 2017 at 6:14 pm):
 > I understand the decision to distribute ZFS as source
 > only, but could you elaborate on why the package is
 > going into contrib rather than main?

 Neil McGovern (February 28, 2017 at 6:26 pm):
 > Sure – it’s about the promise that Debian makes to
 > the end user. Basically, by it being in main you’re
 > legally able to redistribute the end product (along with
 > source). With a CDDL module and a GPL2+ kernel,
 > that becomes – at best – unclear.

So, packages are even provided such as zfs-initramfs and zfs-dkms to
make the process largely painless, for which we be grateful.