Re: BTRFS and debian

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 05:59:58PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 07/13/18 16:36, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 07:53:01PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> > > While a brutal analogy, it makes a point that can be applied to all
> > > computers -- devise strategies, invest in resources, and implement
> > > procedures that facilitate system roll-out, migration, and disaster
> > > recovery.  This is a goal I have pursued over the years.
> >
> > zfs send (and of course filesystem snaphotting) ftw!
> > (I'm just learning about zfs btw, intending a home rollout in the
> > coming weeks.)
>
> ZFS is killer technology.  zfs-fuse is sawed off.  ZOL rocks, but the license keeps it out of Debian.  We'll see if
> and when btrfs catches up.

(Do you know why your mail client (or perhaps server) wraps at 115
chars? 72 or 69 or even 80 would be much better...)

In stretch I see:

zfs-dracut zfs-dkms zfs-initramfs zfsutils-linux

however they're all in "contrib" rather than main.

Can someone explain if there's an -actual- non-free dependency that
these packages have, or if it is just the somewhat-incompatibility
between ZFS CDDL and Linux GPL?

Since at least zfs-fuse dispels the "is bound to Linux kernel" part.

TIA,