Re: Future of systemd-shim?

On 2018-07-12 at 07:50, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2018-07-12 at 06:59, Stephan Seitz wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I noticed that systemd-shim isn’t compatible anymore to the last
>> systemd version in testing, so systemd-sysv will be installed.
>>
>> This is mentioned in bug
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=903295.
>>
>> Is anyone working on this problem?
>
> Possibly not, although anyone who wants to look into it can. The
> question is what about the new libpam-systemd requires features not
> previously present in systemd-shim. (And whether the bumped version
> requirement is just speculative, or whether the libpam-systemd
> maintainers happen to know of a yet-unpackaged upstream release with
> that version number which would work with the new libpam-systemd.)

The changelog for src:systemd version 239-4 includes:

  * Drop patches which try to support running systemd services without
systemd
    as pid 1.
    No one is currently actively maintaining systemd-shim, which means that
    e.g. running systemd-logind no longer works when systemd is not pid 1.
    Thus drop our no longer working patches. Bump the Breaks against
    systemd-shim accordingly.
    See #895292, #901404, #901405

The latter two listed bugs describe explicitly exactly what's broken and
needs to be fixed in systemd-shim; the other one has a comment which
links to two other bugs, one of which is #893819, which also seems to
suggest particular fixes (although not necessarily how).

So in theory, "all" that would be needed is someone to look into those
reported issues and come up with patches to make systemd-shim support
those behaviors.

Which is probably considerably easier said than done, but at least it's
better than having no starting point.

(It might be worth looking at the other open systemd-shim bugs at the
same time, in case any of them also mention relevant incompatibilities.)

--
   The Wanderer