Re: Future of systemd-shim?

On 2018-07-12 at 06:59, Stephan Seitz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I noticed that systemd-shim isn’t compatible anymore to the last
> systemd version in testing, so systemd-sysv will be installed.
>
> This is mentioned in bug
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=903295.
>
> Is anyone working on this problem?

Possibly not, although anyone who wants to look into it can. The
question is what about the new libpam-systemd requires features not
previously present in systemd-shim. (And whether the bumped version
requirement is just speculative, or whether the libpam-systemd
maintainers happen to know of a yet-unpackaged upstream release with
that version number which would work with the new libpam-systemd.)

> Or does this mean, it’s the end for sysvinit (at least for
> desktops)?

Not completely, in any case; it won't particularly affect me, because
(at least on my primary desktop machine) I don't just run sysvinit, I
also refuse to let libpam-systemd get installed, because even having it
present on a sysvinit system results in behavior changes I don't like.
(Or it did have that result, last time I checked.) There's plenty of
useful packages - enough to make up a fully usable system - available
even under that scenario.

For those who need packages which rely on libpam-system, though: maybe
so! If you don't like that, you may want to investigate the situation
and see what it might take to fix systemd-shim again.

(I've taken the first steps in that direction myself, but - especially
since I'm not directly affected - may well not wind up producing
anything useful out of the effort.)

--
   The Wanderer