Re: How to"apt update" from an USB key ?

On Thu 12 Jul 2018 at 03:05:49 (+0000), davidson wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Pierre Couderc wrote:

> >>Not clear what's on the stick; I assume it's DVD1 (or CD1). (I mean if
> >>you're trying to use apt-cdrom with the stick and the machine has no
> >>internet connection and you installed from the stick this is my
> >>assumption.
> >Yes, your assumption is right. I have created the USB stick  with
> >dd .iso ->usb.
> >I thank very much John, Darac y Roberto, but it is not my problem.
> >>   Others seem to have assumed other things. As I have a very
> >>low assumption batting average lately I hesitate slightly to join the
> >>fray.)
> >>
> >>(copied from a post by UK Brian--I think there's only one over there)
> >>
> >>  First adjust sources.list to only have
> >>
> >>    deb [ trusted=yes ] file:/media/DVD-1/ stretch main
> >>
> >>("trusted" avoids warnings about unauthenticated packages--you trust
> >>the iso on the stick, we assume.)
> >>
> >>  Make the DVD-1 directory:
> >>
> >>    mkdir /media/DVD-1/
> >>
> >>  and insert the USB stick. Obtain the device name from dmesg or lsblk.
> >>  Then (for example)
> >>
> >>    mount /dev/sdg1 /media/DVD-1/
> >>
> >>apt update; apt install connman
> >>

> >Merci  beucoup, Curt I had seen this kind of solution, but it did
> >not work as I had not discovered the "trusted" option.
> >
> >Now, I have to understand why it says me :
> >
> >Malformed line 6 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list (URI parse)
> >
> >when my line 6 is :
> >
> >deb [trusted=yes] file:/media/cdrom/ stretch main
>
> On-topic:
>
> I hesitate to speculate out loud about features I have never used and
> am too lazy to test out myself, but since the OP is getting complaints
> about malformed lines, I will remark that in every example shown in...
>
>   $ man sources.list
>
> ... where option-values are passed within square brackets ([]), there
> are spaces separating the option specification from its enclosing
> brackets.  For example, one sees
>
>   deb [ someoption=somevalue ] uri stretch main
>
> but never
>
>   deb [someoption=somevalue] uri stretch main
>
> So maybe the spaces following '[' and preceding ']' are important.

FWIW my take on this man page is different from yours.

       The format for two one-line-style entries using the deb and
       deb-src types is:

           deb [ option1=value1 option2=value2 ] uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]
           deb-src [ option1=value1 option2=value2 ] uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]

The " [ " and " ] " stand for themselves, and delimit the option list.
The " [component1] " stands for, say, "main" or "contrib" etc., ie brackets are metacharacters.

Perhaps:

           deb "[" option1=value1 option2=value2 "]" uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]
           deb-src "[" option1=value1 option2=value2 "]" uri suite [component1] [component2] [...]

would be clearer.

Cheers,
David.