Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

On 2018-07-11, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> The interest being expressed is one in printing a PDF directly to a
> printer, so CUPS isn't (or needn't be) be involved. No conversion to
> or from PostScript (which is no longer being developed) is undertaken.
> Any delays would lie in transporting the file to the printer and what
> takes place on it.

That exists, it seems (pdf interpreter in the firmware of the printer).

https://okiprinting-en-gb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/581/~/pdf-direct-printing

Some of the higher-end (at least) HPs apparently have a feature called HP Direct PDF, which
appears to be exactly what it says.

Maybe that isn't the question (if there's a question) and everybody knew that pdf
printers existed but me.

To tell the truth (and why the hell not at this late date), I was fuzzy
up until recently (quite recently, like ten minutes ago) as to what a
postscript printer was precisely. Now I know. Seems obvious now.