Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

> I used to own MFC 7460DN. I own currently HL-L2389DW wireless -e xcellent
> unit.  Any of them work under Ubuntu, Debian (my current distro), Fedora,
> OpenSuse, etc. without a problem.  Installation is a breeze.  The drivers
> available on Brother website.

Wait, does that mean the printer is not supported directly by Debian
(contrary to HP's for example)?  Why not?  Are the drivers proprietary?
How do you make sure the drivers are kept up-to-date with Debian's
infrastructure?

        Stefan

PS: To me "works under Debian" should mean that I can make it work by
installing packages from Debian and nowhere else.