Re: Looking for ratings of all-in-one printers for Linux (Ubuntu in particular)

On Wed 11 Jul 2018 at 22:03:57 +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 10.07.18 12:53, David Wright wrote:
> >
> > I'm not really interested in a PostScript printer per se, but in a
> > printer that handles PDFs natively. Is this the same thing?
>
> So long as CUPS can translate for the printer what the app (even as
> simple as lpr) hands over, then the only cost is a print delay if the
> postscript is computation-intensive - but that has to be done either in
> the printer or on the host anyway, and the host is probably faster.

The interest being expressed is one in printing a PDF directly to a
printer, so CUPS isn't (or needn't be) be involved. No conversion to
or from PostScript (which is no longer being developed) is undertaken.
Any delays would lie in transporting the file to the printer and what
takes place on it.

--
Brian.