Re: terminal will not wak after hibernation

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:14:11 +1000
Zenaan Harkness <zenaan@freedbms.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2018 at 05:27:44PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 20:32:03 +0100
> > Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> > > I'll take your word for it. I've never seen such a combination. I
> > > give suspend a try on my Gigabyte/AMD sid machine now and then,
> > > but it seems to work for no more than two weeks in any year.
> > > Currently it is leaving orphaned inodes, so I'm not experimenting
> > > too much.
> > >
> > > Years ago, I used to spend time fixing it, but after a while I
> > > realised it would only break again a month later, so I've stopped
> > > bothering. I've yet to see a laptop/netbook screen backlight come
> > > on again after suspend...
> >
> > ?! Many people have suspend working fine (although many certainly
> > don't); suspend-to-ram has been working flawlessly (AFAICT) out of
> > the box on my Lenovo ThinkPad W550s.
>
> In the APM days, Debian/Linux suspend was flawless for years.
>
> Then ACPI came along and things have been iffy for a decade.
>
> However, suspend-to-RAM (suspend, as opposed to hibernate) has worked
> very well here (Lenovo X220) for the last few years.
>
> Possibly OP/Joe has some customization he regularly implements,
> causing his problem? IDK of course...

Not that I know of. But I'm not an IT professional, dealing with
hundreds of machines. I've had a couple of laptops and an Acer netbook,
fairly mainstream, and a few desktops.

For example, the netbook has a fairly recent Stretch installation. If I
manually select 'Suspend', that works and appears to come back up
normally. If I close the lid, when I open it again, the display stays
black. From keyboard and mouse action, it looks as if it is awake
normally, there's just no display. It's not really of any use in that
state, and needs to be killed with the four-second power button thing.

As I've posted, I have a moderately old desktop Gigabyte MB, with a
fairly old sid installation, on which suspend to RAM has occasionally
worked. At the moment, the only way to resume is to poke the power
button, it no longer wakes up on keyboard or mouse action, when it
wakes it sits for fifteen seconds then reboots. Yes, I know about swap
naming, I've been through all that and in any case, swap isn't involved
in suspend to RAM. It has worked reliably within the last year, but not
for more than a couple of weeks.

I can't recall any machine on which I've run Linux working properly as
regards suspend. OK, it's only half a dozen or so computers, but zero
out of six isn't an impressive performance.

--
Joe