Re: USB Host-Host cables

> I have what is essentially a "USB->Serial" - "Serial->USB" Cable.
> Ethernet is *NOT* involved - though there are topological similarities.

I don't have factual knowledge of what you have, indeed, but you said:

    I have purchased a USB Host-Host cable based on the PL-25A1 chipset.

While this probably doesn't use Ethernet internally, I believe it will
behave (seen from both machines) exactly as two USB-to-Ethernet adapters
connected via an Ethernet cable.

For example, the "cable" will typically appear as a "usb0" network
interface (as is the case for USB-to-ethernet adapters) rather than as
a /dev/ttyUSB0 serial device.

So I think your cable is much less "Serial" than you think.

        Stefan