Re: USB "null modem" cables and related Linux driver questions

On Fri 01 Jun 2018 at 05:26:01 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/01/2018 01:27 AM, deloptes wrote:
> >Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >>I have two computers with USB ports.
> >>I wish them to communicate as simply as mid-20th-century computers did.
> >>Then we used RS232-C with a null modem &/or  appropriate software
> >>software at both ends.
> >>

> >J., why not take a crossover cable - all pcs have now ethernet port
> >
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
> >

> Some combinations require crossover cable, some don't.
> I investigated that and wen so fa as to purchase a {still shrink
> wrapped} 8-port switch as a solution. Decided clutter not worth it.

Just forget anyone said "crossover cable¹". You'd have to be making a
direct connection between two museum pieces to require one, and as
you have a switch, you have absolutely no need to ever do that.
Coonect both to the switch instead.

Accessibility? Using the NIC (usually at the back), it gets inserted
permanently and then forgotten, rather than needing to be inserted
on each occasion you want connectivity. Tidier too.

Bear in mind you're using the hardware as intended: no risk of
blowing up your USB port. (Ever noticed how often flaky USB ports
are mentioned here?)

You might even find you can use wakeonlan on the desktop PCs
to save some power.

¹ If you *have* obtained one, just use it like an ordinary cable nowadays.

Cheers,
David.