Re: USB "null modem" cables and related Linux driver questions

On 05/31/2018 11:07 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 09:21:27AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
I have two computers with USB ports.
I wish them to communicate as simply as mid-20th-century computers did.
Then we used RS232-C with a null modem &/or  appropriate software software
at both ends.

The underlying problem is that both ends egotistically expect to be
*MASTER*.

The hardware problem is solvable [e.g.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBtoUSB.htm].

The software is another case :<
The best Linux specific link I've found is dated September 2005
[http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/]

I've done DuckDuckGo searches for permutations/combinations of
   usb, "peer to peer", lan, and bridge.
Most is Windows/Mac centric.
There were hints that needed drivers may exist in current Linux core.

Pointers to good references and/or better search terms?

Do you want:

- One end is a terminal, the other end offers login?   "agetty
   serial" and "minicom"

- TCP/IP over RS-232 serial?   Keyword is "PPP".

- TCP/IP over ethernet attached via USB? "usbnet" and treat them
   like ethernet adapters.

- Connect an actual hardware terminal like a VT320 to your Linux
   box? "agetty serial" again.

Seeing those references mentioned together in this context gives me hints towards understanding some of what I've read.

- Something else? Describe it.

Your list pretty much covers it.
Also a curiosity bump that's been around since USB 1.0 .

-dsr-