Re: USB "null modem" cables and related Linux driver questions

On 06/01/2018 08:21 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 08:23:42AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
The one choice you have is that one of both sides takes a step
back and plays "gadget" [...]

The gadget API is the programming API offered by the kernel for the OTG
ports: no OTG => no gadget!

[OTG]

More importantly, the USB ports which support OTG are driven by
different hardware.

Ah, so the hardware has to play along...

Right, you need both your hardware's USB port to support OTG and you
need your kernel to have a driver that supports this hardware.
AFAIK the driver is usually available.

Did I say I was handwaving?

Thanks for the clarifications!

It also suggests that I frequently grasp some of the implications of what I read. Thank you.
As an illustration of my mindset:
If they had really intended USB to be *UNIVERSAL* serial bus, then it should have been OTG from the get go.
P.S. I know of thousands of reasons they did not.
     Vast majority preceded by $ ;/