Re: USB "null modem" cables and related Linux driver questions

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 04:56:32AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

> >>Pointers to good references and/or better search terms?
> >
> >"ppp over usb" gave me http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/
> >which might be what you want. I notice that such a module is
> >in the production kernels.
>
> I had seen the page. It told me that I was not pursuing an
> impossibility. I was hoping for a more recent reference than 2005.

Perhaps this helps you in your research.

As you've found out by now, USB is an asymmetric protocol: each
network has a "boss" and the rest are all subordinates (perhaps
this design reflects the organization structures in the involved
companies [1], but I disgress).

Of course, some folks always wanted to connect two devices with
enough "personality" that they both wanted to be masters.

The one choice you have is that one of both sides takes a step
back and plays "gadget" (the jargon term, somewhat unfortunate
as search engine fodder). There seems to be something out there
for that, e.g. [2].

The other choice seems to be USB On The Go (aka "OTG") [3]. You
seem to need a special cable for that.

There seem to be Linux drivers to let the USB "stack" play along
with OTG [4], but I have no experience whatsoever with this

Now you have some terms to feed your favourite search engine
(hopefully not The Goog, but I disgress again ;)

Cheers

[1] There's a name for this: Conway's law
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_law)
    And those companies? Well, Compaq, DEC, IBM, Intel, Microsoft,
    NEC, and Nortel. 'Nuff said ;-)

[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/driver-api/usb/gadget.html

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

[4] https://superuser.com/questions/1051005/how-to-determine-usb-otg-mode-on-linux