Re: Update on my update problem with gnome system.

On Wed 30 May 2018 at 00:31:25 (+0300), Abdullah Ramazanoğlu wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2018 20:39:28 +0100 Brian said:
>
> > If a package is upgraded, surely a user would want any new packages
> > to be installed if they are required to satisfy dependencies. apt's
> > designed behaviour looks more sensible than apt-get's.
>
> Then removal of blocking packages are equally (if not more) sensible than
> installing new ones.

Yes and no. If I go shopping, I can put up with the kids each tossing
in some oranges or apples: they'll get eaten eventually. However, if
they were to remove the onions or the milk, there'd be trouble.

So the philosophy is that the "less sophisticated" don't mind extra
packages being thrown in but will be surprised by the disappearance
of packages they use.

> There is a well designed clear cut distinction between
> apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade. "upgrade" upgrades the system
> non-intrusively, while "dist-upgrade" does that intrusively as its name
> suggests.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons apt-get is recommended for
scripting; another is the stable CLI interface.

> OTOH apt upgrade's behavior is in-between, semi-intrusive, and spoils
> that clear-cut distinction. Therefore I think apt-get works more sensible than
> apt in this regard.

That distinction may well be lost on many users, for whom apt might
be a better fit.

Cheers,
David.