Re: Update on my update problem with gnome system.

On Tue, 29 May 2018 09:14:12 -0400 Greg Wooledge said:

> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 09:31:14PM +0300, Abdullah Ramazanoğlu wrote:
> > apt or apt-get upgrade does upgrade in passive mode: It never install new
> > packages, never removes existing ones. Just upgrades existing ones as far as
> > possible.
>
> That's incorrect.  One of the differences between apt and apt-get is
> that apt WILL install new packages when doing "apt upgrade" (but it
> will not remove existing packages).
>
> Another difference is that apt will remove all of the .deb files from
> /var/cache/apt/archives that were downloaded for the CURRENT apt command
> session (but will not remove any that were already there).  (This
> behavior can be changed in a config file.)

Hmm yes, apt upgrade do install new packages. I didn't look at the man page for
apt and assumed that -at least- the same keywords would work the same in both
apt and apt-get. I was wrong.

I wonder why apt should be so close to apt-get but confusingly different. One
has dist-upgrade with certain functionality, the other has full-upgrade with
different functionality. Upgrade function works different between them. Who
knows what else.

AIUI apt-get is the older and more complete tool. I don't know what was the
reason for inventing apt. It is not higher level, it is not as complete as
apt-get, it is not conformant (to apt-get). Perhaps the idea was to unify
apt-get and apt-cache into one tool, but it was done badly IMO.

I don't use apt anyway. Sticking to good old apt-get and apt-cache.

Regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu