Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On Tue, 22 May 2018 20:29:21 +0200 Pascal Hambourg said:
> Le 22/05/2018 à 00:12, Abdullah Ramazanoğlu a écrit :

>>> So you lose system availability. If you can stand this, then you don't
>>> need availability.
>>
>> Although swap going offline causing "a system crash" was a bit of an
>> overstatement. More likely, some user space applications would crash,
>> allowing a graceful system shutdown - once in 15 years or so.
>>
>> What is of primary value of using RAID-1 for me is protecting my data
>> against disk failures.
>>
>> As for continuous system availability, yes I am willing to trade it a bit
>> on a non-critical system for better disk utilization and performance.
>
> I understand that your use case does not require swap redundancy.
> I hope that you also understand that other people may have stronger
> requirements,

For example?

> and your statement about swap mirroring was wrong for them, thus wrong in
> general (what is not always right is wrong).

System management (any management for that matter) is full of compromises from
start to end. There is no such thing as "always right". Therefore your
right-wrong formula renders almost everything as "wrong".

As I have said previously, swap mirroring can be plausible for a mission
critical server, otherwise it is an overkill. This is a conditional statement.

Put another way, is there another use case where user space applications
crashing once in average 15 years is more unacceptable than the disadvantages
of swap mirroring that I have mentioned? I can't think of one, except a mission
critical 7/24 server.

Of course anyone is free to apply whatever strategy he chooses to manage his
own business. Whether it was a smart one or not is another question.

Regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu