Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On 2018-05-21, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 07:59:48PM -0400, songbird wrote:
>> Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> > Then LVM is your friend. You can create as many logical volumes as you
>> > like with minimal sizes and easily extend them when needed. This way you
>> > don't waste space in overprovisioning.
>>
>>   added complexity for a simple system such as mine
>> is rather pointless.
>
> I hear that a lot from people who later find themselves doing
> cosmetic surgery on their partition table because they weren't able
> to initially size things properly.

Verily in the installer I chose automatic partitioning because of my
partitioning phobia many moons ago and was allotted a 9G '/' and a 1.4T
'home' (as well as swap the size of my ego), so find myself in a
predicament similar to that of the OP.

(A recent thread seemed to imply that the installer's automagical
partitioner for LVM leaves little or no empty room for growth, thus
vitiating somewhat the very raison d'être of LVM at its root.)