Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On Mon, 21 May 2018 09:53:01 +0100 Joe said:

[--8<--]

> I don't run a hard drive online for more than about five years,
> retiring it to backup duty after that.

I run them in pairs (raid-1) until one of them gets down, where I retire the
other and get a new pair of replacement drives (once in more than 10 years).

It is true that with replacement period of more than 10 years, my disk space
requirements can exceed the drives at hand - theoretically. In practice, I
replaced my raid-1 pair with 2*750G in 2010 and 750G is still more than enough
for me.

I think this provides better protection against hardware issues, better
performance (due to parallel read logic of raid-1) and more cost effective.

Regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu