Re: Correct: System Thinks Hardware Clock is UTC

Michael Stone composed on 2018-05-21 09:10 (UTC-0400):

> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 12:15:05PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

>>Unfortunately, I have other OSes on this system and they are configured
>>for the hardware clock set to local time. I need to keep it that way.

> For what it's worth, you'll have less long term pain if you also
> configure those to use UTC. Lots of hilarity can ensue when multiple OSs
> decide they need to reset the local time for DST changes...

> It's good that MS did eventually figure this out, and provide a
> mechanism to specify that the HW clock is UTC.

OS/2 and DOS AFAICT never got that option. A LAN that is a mix of LOCAL and UTC
isn't fun, especially with one or more that can't not, which is what I have with
a Linux STB providing no LOCAL option and multiple OS/2's providing no UTC
option. So I keep most on LOCAL, and reboot those that would otherwise be online
as close as I can following each change hour. Those with Windows installed I
configure to not mess with the hardware clock at change times, leaving Linux to
do the deed.

Last fresh installation that got time out of sync with hardware clock was fixed
simply with a change of /etc/adjtime from UTC to LOCAL followed by reboot.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/