Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On Mon 21 May 2018 at 05:50:27 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 07:59:48PM -0400, songbird wrote:
> > Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> > > Then LVM is your friend. You can create as many logical volumes as you
> > > like with minimal sizes and easily extend them when needed. This way you
> > > don't waste space in overprovisioning.
> >
> >   added complexity for a simple system such as mine
> > is rather pointless.
>
> I hear that a lot from people who later find themselves doing
> cosmetic surgery on their partition table because they weren't able
> to initially size things properly.

It's called sampling bias. You're not going to hear from all the
people who are happy with their choices of partition sizes.

Two more biases:

There seems to be some kudos for running a slimly partitioned system.
Nobody's going to brag about a system with a 100GB root partition.

And then there's history/lag/call it what you will. My first Debian
(buzz) ran on a 2GB drive. Any post from a few years ago is likely to
report partition sizes that now seem rather on the small side.
As for appendix C in the Installation Manual, well that looks like
a bit of a joke: who's running linux in 256MB memory, let alone 16MB?

Like with Joe, as disk replacements have got larger over time, so have
my root partitions. 16GB has proved adequate for two laptops that are
seriously into their dotage, and I now create ones sized ~36GB.
(I should say "twos" rather than "ones", as I always create them in
pairs.)  Not forgetting the ef00 and ef02 partitions too, even if
they're never used in anger.

Cheers,
David.