Re: USB Install Fails, Complains about CD-ROM

Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> The bad log has two suspicious lines before that range:
>   [    6.997775] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=abcd, idProduct=1234
>   [    7.000181] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> Looks much like phony default values.
> They are missing in the good log. Other kernel version ?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The good and bad logs are both
for the same kernel--they're different attempts to boot the same ISO
using the same USB stick.

> >   BusyBox v1.22.1 (Debian 1:1.22.0-19+b3) built-in shell (ash)
> >   Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
> >
> >   (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system
>
> This matches the bad log. The stick is not registred as SCSI device and
> thus not accessible for reading or writing data.
>
> We shall note that this is not what Kent West, the OP, reports for his
> problems. If his problem is hardware related, then it is more fuzzy
> than yours.

This prompted me to go back to try to reproduce the CD-ROM thing.  And
yes, I can reproduce a failure that sounds like the one that was
originally reported.  If I select the installer (rather than the live
image) when booting from the USB stick, it gets through the 3 i18n
screens (language, location, keyboard layout), pauses, and then brings
up a screen with

-----8<-----8<-----
                        [!!] Detect and mount CD-ROM

No common CD-ROM drive was detected.

You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from removable media,
such as a driver floppy. If you have such media available now, insert it
and continue.  Otherwise, you will be given the option to manually
select CD-ROM modules.

Load CD-ROM drivers from removable media?

  <Yes>                                     <No>
----->8----->8-----

This may be related to device initialization by the BIOS.  I believe
there's a warning about this in the installation guide somewhere.  But
even with my BIOS set to "Thorough" initialization, I still can get this
failure.  It seems harder to get a successful boot (installer or live
image) if the system has been on recently.

In any case, I suspect that my live image boot failures are due to the
same root cause as the installer failure.

mike

PS. The BIOS setting I'm referring to is POST Behavior/Fastboot.  The
choices are Minimal, Auto, and Thorough, with Minimal being the default
IIRC.