Re: USB Install Fails, Complains about CD-ROM

Hi,

Mike Kupfer wrote:
> (full files sent off-list)

Received.

> Hmm.  The bad log has
>
>  [    7.015708] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
>  [   25.552030] random: crng init done

It is quite sparse from that point on:

  [   29.034207] usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd

and then inactivity for 220 seconds which ended by unrelated messages.

Before the message at 7.015708 the two logs show a short sequence of
agreement: "Product", "Manufacturer", "SerialNumber".

The USB device is not reported in the bad log as SCSI device sdX.
In the good log this is done as "sdb" with partitions "sdb1" and "sdb2".
Then the filesystem is detected
  [    8.842431] ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
A Rock Ridge enhanced ISO with partitions is probably a bootable isohybrid
filesystem. So that's what we should expect to see.

Both logs have the "error -110" and do not report the stick's serial number.
The inactivity before both error messages was 3.5 to 4 seconds.
The bad log has two suspicious lines before that range:
  [    6.997775] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=abcd, idProduct=1234
  [    7.000181] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
Looks much like phony default values.
They are missing in the good log. Other kernel version ?

So it could be that the USB stick does not answer to this inquiry within a
short timeout threshold.  But this seems not to hamper the further handling
of the device in the good log.

> With the live image failures that I'm getting now, the console messages
> are
>
>   [   30.010394] usb 1-1.2: reset high-speed USB device number 3 using
ehci-pci

This seems to be the worst event better than the stick falling out of the
USB socket.

>   BusyBox v1.22.1 (Debian 1:1.22.0-19+b3) built-in shell (ash)
>   Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
>   (initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

This matches the bad log. The stick is not registred as SCSI device and
thus not accessible for reading or writing data.

We shall note that this is not what Kent West, the OP, reports for his
problems. If his problem is hardware related, then it is more fuzzy
than yours.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas