Re: USB Install Fails, Complains about CD-ROM

Hi,

Mike Kupfer wrote:
>   usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -110

If we assume that 110 is a Linux errno, then this would be
  ETIMEDOUT       110     /* Connection timed out */

>   usb 1-2: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd

That's what my USB attached DVD drives sometimes do after having gnawed
a long time on a read error.

> I have a copy of kern.log from the first (successful) boot, and I have
> the dmesg output from the second (failed) boot.  If anyone wants to look
> at them, let me know.

I am interested. Especially whether there are messages from the ISO 9660
filesystem driver.

Curt wrote:
> I've mounted usb sticks that spontaneously 'umounted' themselves while
> producing similar I/O reset errors.
> Which might conceivably explain why the installer would begin asking for
> the cdrom;

The messages quoted by Kent could well indicate that the "CD-ROM" was found
but that rather a particular file was not readable or did not yield the
expected checksum.

It would be helpful if the error messages contained the name of the
failing software and the particular kind of read problem.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas