Re: USB Install Fails, Complains about CD-ROM

On 2018-05-13, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> wrote:

> Curt wrote:
>> I've mounted usb sticks that spontaneously 'umounted' themselves while
>> producing similar I/O reset errors.
>> Which might conceivably explain why the installer would begin asking for
>> the cdrom;
>
> The messages quoted by Kent could well indicate that the "CD-ROM" was found
> but that rather a particular file was not readable or did not yield the
> expected checksum.

I was laboring under another erroneous impression for some reason, but
looking back at the OP he did say that the installer complained about
not being able to "read" the cdrom (not that there was none inserted).
Of course there was never a cdrom to read in the first place (which
could throw off lesser lights than some of you here in this forum), but
I guess we know 'it'  means the thumb drive (because it can't or doesn't
care to distinguish between the two media).

A verbatim quote from Ms. Installer might or might not be edifying.

Perhaps it said something to this effect:

  "There was an error reading data from the CD-ROM. Please make sure it
  is in the drive. If retrying does not work, you should check the
  integrity of your CD-ROM."

Apparently there is (or was) an option to check the integrity of the 'cdrom'
at that point (read failure) in the installer.

> It would be helpful if the error messages contained the name of the
> failing software and the particular kind of read problem.

Any gritty details would probably be in the logs.