Re: LVM setup with snapshots

Le 11/05/2018 à 01:21, Forest Dean Feighner a écrit :
I'm completely new to lvm.

Then you really should read more about LVM and experiment it before installing a system on LVM.

lvs
LV     VG       Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log
Cpy%Sync Convert
root   build-vg -wi-ao---- 463.52g
swap_1 build-vg -wi-ao----   2.00g

I used the default stretch of an lvm partition with the gnome.

To me, it seems me the partition is too large to to reduce for snapshots.

What do you mean ?
Did you allocate all the available space in the volume group to the logical volumes ? Creating snapshots requires space.

What would be a good layout for a stretch install doing lvm snapshots?

When installing with LVM, an important rule is to always leave plenty of free space in the volume group. Don't worry, extending a logical volume when needed is easy. This implies to use manual partitioning, because guided partitioning allocates all the available space.