Re: Emails

On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 23:44 +0100, Dominic Knight wrote:

> > Thank you for the reply.
> >
> > I have tried Debian 9, but I don't like it, hence I've stayed with
> > Debian 8.
> >
> > I think I'll try option 3. My laptop is currently without Evolution,
> > but
> > I need a more modern version so I can import the emails and settings
> > saved under 3.22 with a previous Linux operating system.

	If you don't mind me asking, what is it about Stretch that you
didn't like? Jessie is quite old itself and very outdated.

	As Dominic has stated, downloading source and compiling may
prove _incredibly_ painful, especially since you're running Debian 8,
which means you might have to end up downloading, compiling and
installing most of GTK, which might make things extremely difficult to
maintain in you system.

> I think (3), while not impossible, will require updating too many
> shiny
> new things from GTK. Perhaps a possibility is this Flatpak route?
>
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak
>
> With the caveat of course that I haven't tried this (or even read more
> than the first few lines of the webpage). I would go down the Buster
> route myself, but that depends on what you don't or didn't like about
> the later versions of Debian.

	I'd go with Stretch any day instead of trying out alternate ways
of installing software. Keeping just one up should be enough.

--
[]'s,

Francisco M Neto
Institut für Anorganische Chemie