Re: Emails

On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 17:22 +0100, David wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 21:16 +0900, likcoras wrote:
> > On 05/09/2018 09:01 PM, David wrote:
> > > I currently use Evolution for my emails with Debian 8.
> > >
> > > The version in the repository is very old, I'm currently using
> > > V3.12.
> > >
> > > Is there a method for me to access a repository with a newer
> > > version?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > David.
> > >

> > It is generally not recommended to install software yourself unless
> > you
> > know what you're doing. You do have a few choices:
> >
> > 1. Update to Debian Jessie (9). This will get you evolution 3.22.6.
> > 2. Update to Debian Buster (testing), currently 3.28.1, if you
> > don't
> > mind running testing. Make sure you are ready to run testing,
> > though.
> > 3. Grab a copy of the evolution source code from
> > <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution> and compile it yourself (a-
> > la
> > make; make install). Make sure this is what you want, and that you
> > are
> > aware of the consequences of going down this path.
> > 4. Backport evolution yourself. I personally have never done
> > something
> > like this, so not 100% sure on the procedure involved. I assume it
> > might
> > be safer than doing the 'make install' as in (3).
> >
> > Overall, <https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian> is good resource
> > refer to in case you want to do something like this, make sure that
> > you
> > know what you're doing and what can happen to your system if you do
> > it.
> > Especially pay attention to
> > <https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_suffer_from_Shiny_
> > New_Stuff_Syndrome>.
> >
> > Most importantly, determine if you actually do need the newer
> > version in
> > the first place, or if you're upgrading just for the sake of
> > upgrading.
> > The Debian developers are quite good at keeping up to date with
> > security
> > updates, so hopefully you won't need to worry about those too much.
> >

> Thank you for the reply.
>
> I have tried Debian 9, but I don't like it, hence I've stayed with
> Debian 8.
>
> I think I'll try option 3. My laptop is currently without Evolution,
> but
> I need a more modern version so I can import the emails and settings
> saved under 3.22 with a previous Linux operating system.
>
> David.

I think (3), while not impossible, will require updating too many shiny
new things from GTK. Perhaps a possibility is this Flatpak route?

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Flatpak

With the caveat of course that I haven't tried this (or even read more
than the first few lines of the webpage). I would go down the Buster
route myself, but that depends on what you don't or didn't like about
the later versions of Debian.

Good luck,
Dom.