Re: Emails

On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 21:16 +0900, likcoras wrote:
> On 05/09/2018 09:01 PM, David wrote:
> > I currently use Evolution for my emails with Debian 8.
> >
> > The version in the repository is very old, I'm currently using V3.12.
> >
> > Is there a method for me to access a repository with a newer version?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > David.
> >

> It is generally not recommended to install software yourself unless you
> know what you're doing. You do have a few choices:
>
> 1. Update to Debian Jessie (9). This will get you evolution 3.22.6.
> 2. Update to Debian Buster (testing), currently 3.28.1, if you don't
> mind running testing. Make sure you are ready to run testing, though.
> 3. Grab a copy of the evolution source code from
> <https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution> and compile it yourself (a-la
> make; make install). Make sure this is what you want, and that you are
> aware of the consequences of going down this path.
> 4. Backport evolution yourself. I personally have never done something
> like this, so not 100% sure on the procedure involved. I assume it might
> be safer than doing the 'make install' as in (3).
>
> Overall, <https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian> is good resource to
> refer to in case you want to do something like this, make sure that you
> know what you're doing and what can happen to your system if you do it.
> Especially pay attention to
> <https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_suffer_from_Shiny_New_Stuff_Syndrome>.
>
> Most importantly, determine if you actually do need the newer version in
> the first place, or if you're upgrading just for the sake of upgrading.
> The Debian developers are quite good at keeping up to date with security
> updates, so hopefully you won't need to worry about those too much.

Thank you for the reply.

I have tried Debian 9, but I don't like it, hence I've stayed with
Debian 8.

I think I'll try option 3. My laptop is currently without Evolution, but
I need a more modern version so I can import the emails and settings
saved under 3.22 with a previous Linux operating system.

David.