Re: Debian glossary?

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> I can't understand why Debian would involve itself in writing
> tutorials for commands like mount, ls, and so on, or glossaries
> of terms like strictatime and device file.
>
> All this is standard linux/unix information, well catered for by
> libraries of books from several well-known publishers, O'Reilly
> being one of the best known. I spent 1997/8 immersing myself in such
> texts, at a time when these books had to be bought. (Public libraries
> only had Idiots' guides to W95, etc.) Now there are a wealth of
> free PDFs at every level of expertise on the web, there for the
> downloading.

The Debian project actually hosts some documentation efforts at
<https://www.debian.org/doc/>.  Among these are the book-like „The
Administrator's Handbook” [1] and the „Debian Reference” [2].  They
contain information on Debian-specific as well as general *nix usage.

[1] <https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/>
[2] <https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/>

--
Felix Dietrich