Re: Jessie: No logrotate since October 2016?

John Cunningham:

I hate to wade into the pool of systemd hate, but is this systemd's fault? I noticed anacron doesn't exist on this system. Is it supposed to anymore? Or is that one of the things that have been deprecated? If so, how are the /etc/cron.daily jobs getting run these days?

You'll have to check the timeframe of when these changes happened with respect to Debian 8, but a Debian 9 system does not use cron to run anacron and various other things like phpsessionclean, nor use anacron itself to run various further things. You'll find [ ! -d /run/systemd/system ] in various places in Debian Linux nowadays that turns stuff off when systemd is running, as well as reliance on the fact that systemd ignores non-native stuff if it has native stuff of the same name (such as anacron.timer).

* https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/438379/5132

* https://sources.debian.org/src/anacron/2.3-24/debian/anacron.timer/

* https://sources.debian.org/src/apt/1.6.1/debian/apt.apt-compat.cron.daily/

* https://sources.debian.org/src/man-db/2.8.3-2/debian/cron.daily/

Moreover, you will find the similar [ -x /usr/sbin/anacron ] in various places to control what happens when anacron is not installed.

* https://sources.debian.org/src/cron/3.0pl1-130/debian/crontab.main/

So bear in mind that your learned ideas about what runs what are no longer true.