Re: Debian glossary?

On 04/30/2018 10:02 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 30 Apr 2018 at 06:46:01 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]

Comments?

Sure. You turn to page 108 of Running Linux 5th ed and read it there.

Don't have it? Download it. Type running-linux-5th-2006.pdf into
google and it's the first hit. Then type

$ wget https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/IT%20Various/running_linux_5th_edition.pdf

and read it.

I've downloaded it and bookmarked https://the-eye.eu/public/ for future reference. As I've written I have discovered ~1500 pages of "dead trees". That includes a 2002 copy of _A Practical Guide to Red Hat Linux_ by Sobell [no idea when acquired]. I'll start on both - the dead tree version can be more Vietcong to read.

Why "running-linux-5th-2006.pdf"? Because that's the name it has in my
filesystem. (I gave away my July 1995 paper copy to an enthusiastic
teenager who now works in IT.) Now get stuck into Unix Power Tools
3rd edition (replaces my October 1995 edition), Linux in a Nutshell
(ditto April 1997), and several others out there, all downloadable,
usually in slightly dated editions.

I thought you had a voracious appetite for reading in your retirement.

<chuckle/sigh>
I have a tendency to read for the "question-du-jour", missing other information.
The result is spotty background.

I just don't understand how you can hang out hereabouts for over six
years and not know that d stands for directory, or claim to be
"uninitiated".

Cheers,
David.