Debian home security programs?

Hi everyone,
I am wondering, given how flexible Debian can be, if this idea is possible? If it does not already exist? I now live in an apartment above a business that closes very early. One thing I miss from my old dwelling is a sort of intercom where people would buzz my code which dialed my land line phone allowing me to communicate with them before, at that time, letting them in the building. So, I am wondering if I could combine a Linux home security program with a wireless intercom, or doorbell / intercom combination that might create the same effect? I am not interested in video, just a way to connect with a person at my door if that makes sense.
thoughts?
Karen