Re: Missing Shared Object File for ffmpeg

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 12:46:06 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 20 Mar 2018 at 21:29:49 (-0400), Dan Norton wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 18:35:48 -0500
> > David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Is it still marked as Automatic? Particularly if you try to
> > > install it, it will lose that flag (all this is IIRC). Further
> > > use of that command sequence would have no effect in that case.
> > >

> > root@deb9:~# apt search libopenal1
> > Sorting... Done
> > Full Text Search... Done
> > libopenal1/stable,now 1:1.17.2-4+b2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
> > [...]
> >
> > > The dependency is via another package. I've found that removing a
> > > package doesn't always reach down to all the Automatic packages
> > > beneath it. This is easily demonstrated by installing a package
> > > with multiple dependencies (in depth) and then immediately purging
> > > it.
> > >
> > > But none of this gets down to the root of the problem (why the
> > > installed package didn't provide the library). Perhaps it might
> > > be worth occasionally running
> > > # debsums -l
> > > # debsums -ca
> > > to check things over. There's also dpkg -V.
> > >

> > root@deb9:~# debsums -l
> > root@deb9:~#
> >
> > root@deb9:~# debsums -ca 2>/home/dan/debsums.out
> > /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
> > ...producing 958.9 kB of missing file messages in debsums.out, none
> > mention libopenal1.
>
> Interesting difference between your systems and mine:
>
> wheezy:
>
> # debsums -l
> # debsums -ca
> /etc/apt-cacher-ng/security.conf (.deb cache)
> /etc/console-setup/remap.inc     (VC key definitions)
> /etc/exim4/passwd.client         (email submission at home)
> /etc/kbd/config                  (key repeat rate and blanking)
> /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg       (waveforms)
> # # dpkg too old for -V
>
> jessie:
>
> # debsums -l
> # debsums -ca
> /etc/issue                       (prompt contains time)
> /etc/console-setup/remap.inc
> /etc/exim4/passwd.client         (email submission away)
> /etc/kbd/config
> /etc/systemd/system.conf         (shorten annoying timeouts at
> closedown) /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
> # dpkg -V
> ??5?????? c /etc/exim4/passwd.client
> ??5?????? c /etc/issue
> ??5?????? c /etc/kbd/config
> ??5?????? c /etc/systemd/system.conf
> ??5?????? c /etc/console-setup/remap.inc
> ??5?????? c /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg
> #
>
> stretch:
>
> # debsums -l
> # debsums -ca
> /etc/issue
> /etc/console-setup/remap.inc
> /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf
> # dpkg -V
> ??5?????? c /etc/initramfs-tools/update-initramfs.conf
> ??5?????? c /etc/issue
> [...]

It looks like many of the missing file messages come from files left
behind in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ as a result of installing and then
uninstalling games such as:

bzflag   tank battle
csmash   table tennis
lincity  build a city

When files with names starting with these games are removed, debsums -ca
produces a few dozen lines of missing files and most of these these are
due to:

acm   aerial combat

...which clings so tightly that I can't get rid of it.

 - Dan