Re: Missing Shared Object File for ffmpeg

On Tue 20 Mar 2018 at 18:41:55 (-0400), Dan Norton wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 13:42:24 -0500
> David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue 20 Mar 2018 at 13:47:42 (-0400), Dan Norton wrote:

> > > That did it - thanks, Greg!
> > >
> > > But what does this do that apt purge/install of ffmpeg does not?
> >
> > You posted:
> >
> > # apt purge ffmpeg
> > # apt autoremove
> > # apt install ffmpeg
> >
> > but you didn't show your working. You should check out what happened
> > by looking at /var/log/apt/history.log to see if libopenal1 was
> > affected by this command sequence. For a start, other packages might
> > depend on libopenal1, preventing its auto-removal.
> >

> The broken system was installed in December 2017. Looking at all the
> logs in /var/log/apt/history* (extracting the ones that were
> archived) and running:
> dan@deb9:~/apt.logs$ grep -rnw '.' -e 'libopenal1' | less
> ...there is one hit, other than today's --reinstall and that is an
> install:
>
> Start-Date: 2017-12-17  21:29:03
> Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic
> Requested-By: dan (1200)
> Install: [...]
> libopenal1:amd64 (1:1.17.2-4+b2, automatic),  # e pluribus unum
> [...]
>
> > Then of course there's the investigation of why it wasn't
> > installed correctly in the first place, and what was happening
> > during the "several attempts" at installing ffmpeg.
> >

> Apparently nothing during these attempts involved libopenal1, according
> to the logs in /var/log/apt/ - is there anywhere else that could shed
> light on this?

Is it still marked as Automatic? Particularly if you try to install
it, it will lose that flag (all this is IIRC). Further use of that
command sequence would have no effect in that case.

The dependency is via another package. I've found that removing a
package doesn't always reach down to all the Automatic packages
beneath it. This is easily demonstrated by installing a package
with multiple dependencies (in depth) and then immediately purging
it.

But none of this gets down to the root of the problem (why the
installed package didn't provide the library). Perhaps it might
be worth occasionally running
# debsums -l
# debsums -ca
to check things over. There's also dpkg -V.

Cheers,
David.