Re: XFCE and network manager

On Fri 16 Mar 2018 at 06:38:50 (+0100), solitone wrote:
> Just installed scratch with xfce4 on an oldish machine, downloading all

I'll assume you mean stretch.

> the needed packages through my wifi adapter.
>
> On first boot wifi is down, and there is no application I can use to
> choose and connect to my wifi access point.
>
> I realize that xfce's own Airconfig has never lifted off and is
> currently unreleased, abandoned and unmaintained, so xfce users usually
> use NetworkManager or Wicd.
>
> I would suggest that any of these is installed by default when xfce is
> chosen during installation.

Perhaps you hit bug #694068 which was recently back under discussion here.

You should find that ifupdown can give you a wireless connection if
you retype the paragraph into /etc/network/interfaces that was
probably there when you installed Debian, but has "evaporated".

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wpa-ssid <access_point>
  wpa-psk  <secret>

Replace wlan0 by the interface name starting with wl given by
$ ip a

Cheers,
David.