Re: Help needed with home network configuration

On Fri 16 Mar 2018 at 08:48:50 (+0000), Joe wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 23:26:38 -0400
> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> > > I think the router I've been using for the last few years is one.
> > > Although the User Manual from May 2013¹ has a brief section on
> > > bridging, the June 2014² revision is missing that part. Both have
> > > a "Wireless Repeating" link on the figure for Advanced Wireless
> > > Settings, but the link is not present in the actual configuration
> > > screen on the device.
> > >
> > > In any case, the May 2013 manual says that to use it as a repeater,
> > > even wired, you have to set security to WEP or None. That's no use.
> > >
> > > I wandered into BestBuy and couldn't find much about bridging on
> > > any of their router boxes. (Obviously I'm eschewing so-called
> > > WiFi Wireless Repeaters.) What I'm trying to ascertain is that
> > > all the wired bridging functionality is performed by the software
> > > and not any special hardware in the device.
>
> I'd have thought that hardwired hubs are long gone, that all devices
> with multiple Ethernet ports are switches and therefore software-based.
> Indeed, many routers can be configured as VLANs.

I guess I missed where "hubs" came into the conversation. Anyway,
I was hoping to carry on using the current router if that were
possible, but might have to bite the bullet and buy two replacements
for it.

> I had a different problem recently, trying to work out which of a few
> high-bandwidth 802.11ac routers could be configured in pairs as wireless
> point-to-point links, which also uses the term 'bridging', and no, they
> can't all do it. But documentation is usually very poor for the
> lesser-used functions of most things. 'Bridging' is also used to mean
> wireless repeating, which is a different thing again.

Yes, and wireless repeating is rather ambiguous. I want the repeater
to be a wireless device, but connected to the other one by a CAT5 cable.

> > > Required topology:
> > >

> > >             ╲│╱                   ╲│╱                 ╲│╱
> > >          ┌───────┐             ┌───────┐           ┌───────┐
> > >          │W     L╞    CAT5     │W     L╞═PC        │ ROKUs │
> > > [Modem]══╡A     A╞═════════════╡A     A╞           │  etc  │
> > >          │N     N╞             │N     N╞           └───────┘
> > >          │       ╞═PC          │       ╞═PC
> > >          └───────┘             └───────┘
> > >

> > > ¹ WNDR3400v3_UM_10May2013.pdf
> > > ² WNDR3400v3_UM_19June2014.pdf
> >
> > I haven't paid attention to this thread from the beginning, but
> > looking at the sketch, I'm wondering what the purpose of the 2nd
> > router is?  Why not instead of a router put a switch there, and then
> > (assuming you need another WiFi access point at that position), plug
> > the 2 PCs and a wireless access point (not sure of the right name)
> > into the switch.
>
> The network between the routers is a low-security DMZ, with access to
> the main network only through the port-forwarding of the second router.

OK, assuming you're talking about my diagram and not rhkramer's paragraph
(which doesn't have two routers), I guess you mean Left is the main
network and Right is the second router. I don't want "low security",
and I'm not sure what the implications of the term DMZ is.

What you see in the diagram is what I want to set up, except I haven't
specified exactly which item is wired to which port on which router,
or which wifi device is positioned close to which router.

> I have an Internet router, which provides occasional wireless for
> visitors, and a server acting as a firewall leading to the rest of the
> network, so there's no wireless access to the main network, though I do
> have an old wireless router that I can plug in if I need it temporarily.

This is a house rather than a B&B; there's no guest network here.
Every device needs access to the Internet and to every other device
on both routers (except the only access we'd expect *to* the Rokus
would be to ping them to see if we'd left the TV on).

As I mentioned in my previous post, there is a scheme involving a
LAN-LAN connection rather than LAN-WAN between the routers, but
I haven't figured out whether I'd benefit from that in the sense
of being able to keep my current router as the Left one.

Cheers,
David.