XFCE and network manager

Just installed scratch with xfce4 on an oldish machine, downloading all
the needed packages through my wifi adapter.

On first boot wifi is down, and there is no application I can use to
choose and connect to my wifi access point.

I realize that xfce's own Airconfig has never lifted off and is
currently unreleased, abandoned and unmaintained, so xfce users usually
use NetworkManager or Wicd.

I would suggest that any of these is installed by default when xfce is
chosen during installation.