Re: hostname

Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 01:40:17PM -0000, bolakim53@mail2tor.com wrote:
>> 	* debian does not install without & "space" is not accepted.
>
> Then make something up.  Try "debian".  Or "linux".  Or "mycomputer".
>
> Later, once you understand how a local network works, you can come
> up with a theme.  Or some convention that lets you identify the
> computer by its name.  The name that you have chosen.

As an example, I went with Optimus-Prime and Megatron for a pair of
servers in the basement, just because ... if I ever get that storage
array I've been half-eyeing, it's gonna be "Holocron".

If you (bolakim53) feel like reading up on it, you can look at RFC7766
(March 2016), as well as the RFCs it updates (1035,1123).

Additionally, there is RFC1178 which is somewhat of a "guide" if you
will.

> Oh god, you're a MOBILE user.  Laptops or something.  You've probably
> never even *used* a desktop PC/workstation.  You have no understanding
> of the way local area networks work because you've never BEEN ON ONE,
> and you probably never will be.  The concept of computers being in
> fixed locations with fixed names so that you can, y'know, FIX them, is
> probably completely alien to you.
>
> And I bet you don't care.  And I bet you think I'm some kind of fossil.
>
> I despair for humanity.

I should've read all the way through, would've saved typing :).  Quote
of the day right there, Greg.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947