Re: domain names, was: hostname

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018, at 16:21, Dan Purgert wrote:

> > Later, once you understand how a local network works, you can come
> > up with a theme.  Or some convention that lets you identify the
> > computer by its name.  The name that you have chosen.

Machine-naming makes sense to me - having done that with a variety
of (blush) Windows machines in my LAN.  I've toyed with versions of
Linux, and used a few live-CD ones over the years, and I'm fairly sure
that as well as being asked to supply a hostname I've also been asked
to supply a domain value.

What, on a home LAN, is that used for?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.