Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

Hello Michael,

Am 2018-02-07 hackte Michael Stone in die Tasten:
> Richard is correct here. The changelog is saying that the IF_NETMASK
> environment variable will reflect the defaults even if they aren't
> specified in the configuration (this differs from the documentation
> which otherwise states that the environment will reflect the
> configuration file contents). It is *not* saying that ifupdown will
> somehow guess what the correct netmask is. As I said earlier, it
> defaults to setting the mask based on the address class, as defined in
> RFC 791 back in 1981. So, for example, a 10. IP will use a /8 netmask, a
> 172. address will use a /16 netmask, etc. If you use a 192. address you
> might get lucky because those IPs were in the class C space and the
> netmask will default to /24--which is a common configuration for
> consumer network devices. But IP classes are obsolete and have been
> since the early 90s--so it's best not to rely on them being correct when
> setting up your network.

Not to offend anyone here, but I would say, everybody is right here.

"Defaults" looks in my eyes, it  count  for  the  private  networks  10,
172 and 192.168 which is logic and the eleminating  of  the  IP  classes
concern only PUBLIC IP addresses  and  NOT  the  three  defined  private
ranges.  However anything which is below of this, has to  be  configured
in a proper way.

> Mike Stone

Have a nice day
--