Re: kernel 4.14.15 compilation using GCC 8 in unstable.......

On 27/01/2018 22:47, Michael Lange wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 22:30:06 +0530
"tv.debian@googlemail.com" <tv.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hi, you need to read the kernel-package doc, it requires configuration.
Read at the minimum /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz
It contains all the info you need, and even gives you hints as to how
to configure your system, like:

"
          Or, alternately, you could do:
   cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs
\ /etc/kernel/postinst.d/
   cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs \
      /etc/kernel/postrm.d/
"

to get a working initrd.

it is certainly a good advice to read the docs before starting.
But then, I admit that I never did and never configured anything for
make-kpkg (besides installing required software of course) and the
resulting kernel packages including the initrd's "just worked".
So I guess that the OP's problem do not result from a misconfigured
kernel-package (unless the OP changed some defaults for the worse) but
from something else. Just a guess of course.

My guess is, that the "make clean" command issued before the last build
attempt failed to clean the source tree properly and the try before was
not succesful either.

Then "make-kpkg clean" may be the answer ?