Re: kernel 4.14.15 compilation using GCC 8 in unstable.......

On 27/01/2018 20:30, Michael Fothergill wrote:
On 27 January 2018 at 13:38, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:

Hi,

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 13:12:13 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

​I think I will sign up on the gcc gnu help page and ask people if they
have a test case file I can run to 100% confirm the GCC 8 compiler is
running properly.​
​Once I am convinced it is then the next stage is to try to talk to the
developers who maintain the make-kpkg program.

are you still using gcc-8? Here this one didn't work at all for me,
compiling always aborted early with compiler errors. It worked
immediately though after I removed ggc-8 and upgraded gcc-7 to v. 7.3
from sid.

Regards

Michael

​I have sent the kernel-source package maintainer the following email:

Dear Sir,

I understand that you are the package maintainer for kernel-source ie
make-kpkg etc. within debian.

I am running debian unstable (Sid)on an amd64 kaveri box.

I installed GCC 8 from the experimental repository.  I am trying to use it
to compile the kernel 4.14.15 using make-kpkg to use the fixes for the
meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities.

The output from doing this is here:

https://pastebin.com/sgrhdCKW

Make-kpkg did not create any linux-image file ......?!

I copied over the config file from/boot and ran make-clean and the
command:  yes "" | make oldconfig before running make-kpkg.

Kernel compilations I do in gentoo (I am a gentoo user as well as a debian
user) usually take a while.

This ran too quickly I think.

Something is not quite right here I think.

It might be that more dependent packages needed to be installed to make
GCC8 run happily.

As a result I have sent an email to the gnu gcc help site (
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org) asking them for a test file to check that GCC8 is
running correctly.

But, maybe you might say that make-kpkg needs to be upgraded in some way to
work correctly here and GCC 8 ran OK.......

The discussions on these two threads are relevant to this case:

We are all trying to compile kernels that defeat the meltdown and spectre
vulnerabilities.

Comments appreciated.

Regards
​
etc

*************************

Maybe will end up having to quit with GCC8 but it I am giving it one last
attempt here.

Cheers

MF

         "It's hard to believe that something which is neither seen nor
felt can do so much harm."
         "That's true.  But an idea can't be seen or felt.  And that's
what kept the Troglytes in the mines all these centuries.  A mistaken
idea."
                 -- Vanna and Kirk, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5819.0

Hi, you need to read the kernel-package doc, it requires configuration. Read at the minimum /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz It contains all the info you need, and even gives you hints as to how to configure your system, like:

"
        Or, alternately, you could do:
 cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs \
    /etc/kernel/postinst.d/
 cp /usr/share/kernel-package/examples/etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs \
    /etc/kernel/postrm.d/
"

to get a working initrd.

Once it is configured you need a command that will look like:

make-kpkg -j 4 --revision 1 --append_to_version -mykernel --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers

to build both kernel and headers packages, and get and initrd to boot on. The default is to create the packages one level above the current directory (../).

I don't think it is the maintainer to walk you through the procedure, he already wrote the docs.

Building on a custom kernel is not very difficult, but it isn't as trivial as an "apt-get install", some extra work and care are required. And you may void your Debian warranty (you have none anyway) ;-) .