kernel 4.14.15 compilation using GCC 8 in unstable.......

Dear All,

I am continuing the discussion of the kernel 4.14.15 compilation in the
Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9 post in a new post.

The reason I am running with this kernel and not the 4.15.0 rc9 kernel that is now available on kernel.org is that:

1. It is stable

2. I have never tried to compile a kernel in Debian before and want to make it a bit easier for me the first time would try.

3.  kernel 4.14.15 does have the KPTI and retpoline patches in it, so it is a fair candidate for the GCC8 compiler to produce a kernel that the patch checker could confirm has these meltdown and spectre fixes are properly set up and active.

Cheers

Regards

MF