Re: kernel 4.14.15 compilation using GCC 8 in unstable.......

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 23:49:46 +0100
Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:

> Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
>
> > When I check /proc/cpuinfo I see that "msr" is listed in the "flags"
> > section. So why doesn't the driver load automagically?
>
> It is not programmed to load automatically, because writing to MSRs is
> dangerous and can even damage your computer or CPU. In any normal
> operation you don't need this code loaded and active, only when you try
> to do special things with your CPU it is needed, as in this case.
>
> > But then, at least with the version of the checker-script here, it
> > doesn't seem to make any difference, at least for whatever the script
> > tries.  Don't know if enabling msr will do me any good otherwise.
>
> The script loads itself when run as root. It then reads the neccessary
> information from /dev/cpu/*/msr and unloads the module when done. You
> don't want or even need to load the module manually.

Ok, then I figure my systems to be ok msr-wise :)

I don't know, but I guess there may be different "levels" or
"capabilities" (or whatever this is called) of msr, since the contents
of /dev/cpu/0 look different from that of your machine and the script
still says "no" to the msr-related checks here. Since it's the same with
the official kernels I guess I can (and have to) live with it.

Gruss

Michael

Yes, it is written.  Good shall always destroy evil.
		-- Sirah the Yang, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown