Re: kernel 4.14.15 compilation using GCC 8 in unstable.......

Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:

> When I check /proc/cpuinfo I see that "msr" is listed in the "flags"
> section. So why doesn't the driver load automagically?

It is not programmed to load automatically, because writing to MSRs is
dangerous and can even damage your computer or CPU. In any normal
operation you don't need this code loaded and active, only when you try
to do special things with your CPU it is needed, as in this case.

> But then, at least with the version of the checker-script here, it
> doesn't seem to make any difference, at least for whatever the script
> tries.  Don't know if enabling msr will do me any good otherwise.

The script loads itself when run as root. It then reads the neccessary
information from /dev/cpu/*/msr and unloads the module when done. You
don't want or even need to load the module manually.

S°

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.