Re: kernel 4.14.15 compilation using GCC 8 in unstable.......

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 21:28:19 +0100
Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:

> > Not me, that's the sid kernel :)
>
> No. The kernel from Sid has support for MSR as module:
>
> root@host:~# modinfo msr
> filename: /lib/modules/4.14.0-3-amd64/kernel/arch/x86/kernel/msr.ko
> license:        GPL
> author:         H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com>
> depends:
> intree:         Y
> name:           msr
> vermagic:       4.14.0-3-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions
>
> Did you run the script as user or as root?
>
> I get the same errors as you if I don't run the script as root. For the
> checks to be reliable, *including* the dmesg-check, you need to run the
> script as root.

Yes, it is the sid kernel, and the module exists. When running the script
as root it is the same. lsmod shows that the msr module is not loaded. If
I load it manually with modprobe it appears to load without errors, but
the output of the checker-script does not change.

I admit I don't know anything about msr, is this
possibly an Intel specific thing?

Gruss

Michael