Re: Question on CVE-2017-5754 on Debian 8.9

On 25 January 2018 at 22:35, Michael Lange <klappnase@freenet.de> wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 21:43:19 +0000
Michael Fothergill <michael.fothergill@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Not sure, but didn't you want the very latest 4.15rc for some
> > Meltdown/Spectre issues? Are these also in 4.14.15?
> >
> > ​
> >

> ​I copied the config file from the boot directory for the current 4.15.0
> rc8 kernel as .config.
>
> I then ran make menuconfig and then realised I didn't need to change
> anything and exited.
>
> I didn't run your
>
> yes ""|  make oldconfig thing - it seemed a bit peculiar to me.
>
> Maybe I should have.
>
> Instead I ran the command recommended here:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/BuildADebianKernelPackage
>
> which was
>
> make ARCH=i386 defconfig

Didn't want to build for amd64? If yes, you should have followed the
advice from that page saying:
"Create a defconfig with the following command, please change ARCH=i386
to match your target architecture:"
I only built kernel packages for amd64 on an amd64 system, so I never had
to explicitely specify ARCH.

​Should it not be ARCH =​x86-64 rather than amd64.

It is so confusing.

MF

> I then ran
>
> make-kpkg
>
> and it then asked me lots of questions concerning kernel options that I
> had to answer interactively.
>
> I think I should have tried your funny quotation pipe command with the
> oldconfig option - it would have been better.

Actually I don't remember which tutorial I borrowed this from; as far as
I know it will set the default values for any new option not present in
the old config.

> ​​
>
> ​Here is some of the output before it crashed:​
>

> kexec system call (KEXEC) [Y/n/?] y
> kexec file based system call (KEXEC_FILE) [N/y/?] n
> kernel crash dumps (CRASH_DUMP) [Y/n/?] y
> kexec jump (KEXEC_JUMP) [N/y/?] n
> Physical address where the kernel is loaded (PHYSICAL_START) [0x1000000]
> 0x1000000
> Build a relocatable kernel (RELOCATABLE) [Y/n/?] y
>   Randomize the address of the kernel image (KASLR) (RANDOMIZE_BASE)
> [Y/n/?] y
> Alignment value to which kernel should be aligned (PHYSICAL_ALIGN)
> [0x200000] 0x200000
> Randomize the kernel memory sections (RANDOMIZE_MEMORY) [Y/n/?] y
> Support for hot-pluggable CPUs (HOTPLUG_CPU) [Y/?] y
>   Set default setting of cpu0_hotpluggable (BOOTPARAM_HOTPLUG_CPU0)
> [N/y/?] n
>   Debug CPU0 hotplug (DEBUG_HOTPLUG_CPU0) [N/y/?] n
> vsyscall table for legacy applications
>   1. Native (LEGACY_VSYSCALL_NATIVE)
> > 2. Emulate (LEGACY_VSYSCALL_EMULATE)
>   3. None (LEGACY_VSYSCALL_NONE)
> choice[1-3?]: 2
> Built-in kernel command line (CMDLINE_BOOL) [N/y/?] n
> #
> # configuration written to .config
> #
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.14.15'
> make    \
>              ARCH=x86_64  dep
> make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-4.14.15'
> Makefile:942: *** "Cannot generate ORC metadata for
> CONFIG_UNWINDER_ORC=y, please install libelf-dev, libelf-devel or
> elfutils-libelf-devel".  Stop. make[2]: Leaving directory
> '/usr/src/linux-4.14.15' debian/ruleset/targets/common.mk:194: recipe
> for target 'debian/stamp/conf/kernel-conf' failed
> make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/conf/kernel-conf] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-4.14.15'
> /usr/share/kernel-package/ruleset/minimal.mk:93: recipe for target
> 'debian/stamp/conf/minimal_debian' failed
> make: *** [debian/stamp/conf/minimal_debian] Error 2
> Failed to create a ./debian directory:  at /usr/bin/make-kpkg line 970.
> root@mikef-PC:/usr/src/linux-4.14.15#

Funny thing: just for the sport I tried the same thing on a siduction
system this evening and ended up with the same error message.
Had no time to investigate yet, it looks a bit like this one:

but this one's old and claims to be solved.
Here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=74424
it is suggested that an upper case letter in the path to the sources
might be the culprit, but then I have upper case characters here on
stretch too, which didn't harm.
Here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=116146
it is suggested that installing gcc-<version>-plugin-dev might help,
might be worth a try. However here on stretch nothing like this is
installed, and still it works. Maybe libgcc-<version>-dev is missing?
Here:
https://superuser.com/questions/677372/error-when-compiling-linux-kernel
someone suggests that bc must be installed. Got that here on stretch, not
sure if it might be missing on siduction.

> It has written things to the config file so I think I might be wise to
> delete it, copy it over again
> and repeat everything with the Shakespearian pipe command next time.
>

> Suggestions on recovering gracefully here are welcome.

I always cleaned up the source directory with

# make mrproper

After that you should be able to start over again.

Regards

Michael

Earth -- mother of the most beautiful women in the universe.
                -- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1